Sunday, June 26, 2011

Atlanta Recap

We had a good trip to Atlanta last weekend.  We got in around 10:30 pm and hung out with Dad for a bit before heading to bed.  Saturday was a busy day…

Saturday Brian and I got roped into passing out flyers with my dad to invite people to his church’s VBS.  That was…interesting…because we had to “pass them out” in the parking lot of the local Kroger.  And by pass them out I mean put them under windshield wipers on parked cars.  I was so embarrassed and even nervous!  I was so scared someone was going to come back to their car just as I was slipping a flyer onto their vehicle and demand to know what I was doing.  Not my most favorite way of advertising, but we were happy to help Dad out :0).

After that we went home and got ready to go for a 5 mile run in order to keep up with our 1/2 marathon training.  We convinced Dad (who didn’t take much convincing at all, really) to ride his bike while we jogged along.  He took us to a really pretty park that had a nice greenway.  The run was good and we knocked it out fairly easily and at a good pace.  What’s a bummer is that when I went to upload the data from my Garmin watch I deleted it!  It’s a finicky thing, that watch, when it comes to getting it connected to a power/pc source.  I thought it froze up so I reset it.  Something similar had happened before and Brian reset it.  It didn’t delete the data when he did it so I figured I’d have the same luck.  Nope.

After our run we ate a quick snack for lunch and got ready to head to the Braves game.  When we got to the game I whipped out my camera to start taking some pictures and quickly realized I had left the camera battery in the charger at the house.  And I hadn’t bothered to bring my phone into the game so I was completely camera-less.  Hence the reason this post is lacking photos.  I was pretty sad :(. 

The game was fun.  Unfortunately, a massive storm decided to roll in around the top of the 5th inning creating a 2 hour 15 minute rain delay.  We clamored up to the covered seats to wait it out.  There was quite the lightning show for us.  As the delay stretched on I began growing tired and cold because the 96* day was quickly turning into a cool evening.  After about 2 hours of waiting the heavy rain out we decided to pack up and head home.  But not before stopping at The Varsity and grabbing some burgers & onion rings.  Yum!

We arrived home to the power out.  Yessss.  So we huddled around the storm radio to listen to the end of the game (which was called back on 15 minutes after we left!).  Sadly, after a rousing comeback the Braves finally lost in the bottom of the 10th inning to the Rangers.

IMG_3858IMG_3859

These are the only two pictures I was able to capture from the whole weekend.  That’s me and Daddy-O on Father’s Day.  Wonder of wonders Brian was able to make him do a for-real smile for the camera!  WTG!  And wow, Dad, you’re tan!  The second is a picture of Brian enjoying his Sunday morning coffee on our way to visit Blueprint Church in downtown Atlanta.  We enjoyed worshiping at Blueprint and the message from Philippians 1 was very timely for us.  What are you living for if your hope isn’t in Christ?

When we got home from church Dad had smoked a ham on the grill.  I whipped up some homemade mashed potatoes, a nice spinach and avocado salad and some baked beans.  I didn't actually whip up the mashed potatoes b/c I couldn't find Mom’s mixer, so I used a hand masher.  Mmmm.

Well, all good times must come to an end and after lunch we packed up and headed back to Raleigh.  I forgot to mention but to and from Atlanta we enjoyed listening to the Chronicles of Narnia on CD.  We only made it through 2 books and I’ve been enjoying listening to them on my way to and from work and as I drive around to my properties.  If you haven’t read them, you should!

Dad, it was great to see you!  Thanks for letting us crash for the weekend!

No comments: